Blogging or weblogging is the process wherein individuals write and publish information on a site or website. With the advancement in information technology—making everything convenient, learning how to start a blog is somehow easy.
Along the way, you might need some things like proofreading tools such as Grammarly or Pro Writing Aid that could help you write faster. Read more about writing skills and tools from our website 501words.net.
Meanwhile, here, we will point out the necessary steps that you might need to create your own blog. There are many reasons why you must be attracted to this so-called blogging. So, let’s get started.
- 1 How to Start a Blog
- 2 What are the Benefits of Blogging
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Conclusion
How to Start a Blog
As mentioned earlier, running up a blogging site is easy. You don’t actually have to be tech-savvy to operate one. But you’ll definitely need patience to be successful in this field. Reviewing grammar and writing faster would also be helpful. Remember that you are venturing into writing, so better do it right.
Starting a blog without any connection is risky and scary. You might question yourself if you can do it or you have what it takes. Don’t worry because we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide to help you start a blog, which could jumpstart your online success.
Select a blogging platform and domain.
There’s a difference between blogging platforms and domain. If you want to know how to start a blog, then you must understand these two. You will have to decide on your domain name (URL) as well as where you’d want to host your website.
To put it simply, a domain name is where people access your website (xxx.com) while the platform is where you write and store your content. In choosing a domain name, make sure that it has a connection with what your blog is all about.
If you’re writing about travel blogs, you can incorporate words like ‘adventure’ ‘travel’ or ‘trip ‘ on your URL.
Actually, there are many free domain hosts and platforms which you can use. But note that it’s recommended to use a paid domain host for its benefit in the long run. Here’s a list of the best domain site:
Since the domain name should be unique, there must be instances where your chosen domain has been used already. So, come up with different variations of your preferred domain name before you start setting up your blog. Meanwhile, you can choose from these platforms:
This is important because you won’t be able to change it later. It will be your permanent URL once you’ve set it for the first time.
Customize your site
Once you have already your platform and domain name, it’s time to customize or personalize your website. Whatever platform you choose, there will always be themes inside such a tool.
The tip is keeping it simple yet appealing to the public. In general, a bad layout can drive away readers and won’t encourage new subscribers. Make it a point that your users can navigate your site without difficulties.
A simple contact number or catalog, if you’re promoting a business, should easily be seen by your readers. Furthermore, your site should also reflect the content of your blog.
For example, you’re blogging about food. Then, your featured images should be about food and not make-ups or accessories.
Plugins are defined as additional software that is installed on a certain program. This helps such a program to enhance its abilities or functionalities. It’s similar to an extension in the sense that it adds capabilities to your browser or page.
The difference, however, lies in where it can be used. Plugins are embedded into your site; meaning, the specific software you installed will work only on your page. Outside of this scope, it will not function. While extensions added on browsers work on any site.
For instance, you added a proofreading tool as an extension to your browser. It will work on various sites in which you gain access.
These plugins, in the context of blogging, add functions to your platforms. Further, it helps you analyze your online presence. So, what are the necessary plugins that you might need?
- Google Analytics gives a detailed report about your readers. It will provide information with regard to how searchers got to know of your site, their activities on the site, and demographics like age and preferences.
- Yoast SEO is a WordPress plugin that allows users to search for keywords and analyze readability. It also provides an analysis of your readability and keyword density.
- AddThis enables you to add a share button on your content. Thus, it would be easy for your readers to share your blog. Further, it allows users to insert the “Follow Me” button.
- Pretty Links allow shortening of links using your domain name. As compared to other similar software, it enables you to promote your own site by using your domain site instead of theirs.
Protect your blog.
To save yourself of the hassle this might cause you, check out the security of your blogs. Here are some tips you can adopt.
- Create a backup copy of your content. You must be thinking that it’s impossible to lose your blog once it has been published on the internet. You’re wrong! It’s rare, yes, but it happens. It can be because of hacking attempts or infection. In any case, having a backup is important. It will save you from manually checking each file and finding out the source of the removal.
- Invest in security software. Security software such as anti-virus is helpful in protecting your site. Some might be expensive but it will prevent malicious attacks directed to your site.
- Secure your email. Since your site is connected to an email, it is of equal importance to have a secured email address. So, make sure that you have a strong password and you observed proper security measures.
If you think security is not an issue, then you’re wrong. This is one of the common mistakes of beginners. They tend to forget about protecting their blog site until grave repercussions occur.
Create your main pages
Before you write a blog, you must first add some pages that should be placed on your site. Pages are more permanent than posts for it contains the basic information of the site.
These can be accessed through the links on your navigation tab, sidebar, or Main menu. So, make sure you have the following:
- Home Page provides an overview of your site. It comprises of general information on what to expect with your site. This is also where you can find links to other pages on your site.
- About Page describes the history or the purpose of your website; in case of an online shop, the owner of the place. It is the most highly viewed page by new readers. Thus, you should be able to provide a good and enticing description.
- Contact Page is always necessary for your blogs. This will contain all your contact information: email address and phone number. You may also add a fax number if you want to.
- Blog Page contains all your writings. This is where all your content can be found.
You can also add other pages as you may be deemed suitable for your blog. For example, if you’re promoting a certain product, you can put an FAQ page.
Now that you’ve set up your blog site, it’s now time to create blogs that you want to publish. You may venture on any topic of interest but make sure that such is timely and relevant.
In this manner, you’ll be able to attract the audience and, may possibly gain subscribers. There are many aspects of writing that one should know.
Blogging is not all about writing; it’s more than that. If you want to blog like a pro, you should consider the online community and write in accordance with demand. Nonetheless, you may still choose a topic which is unknown to many. Just make sure that when you write, it will be beneficial to the people at large. For instance, a new model of the iPhone has been released.
A review of such may catch the attention of many readers. This is a good technique when you want to widen your audience. As opposed to writing a feature of a phased-out cellular phone.
It’s always like that in the beginning. They say that the start is always the most difficult part. Anyhow, to help you with your writing, here are some tips on how to write a blog.
- Choose a topic and know your audience. The first thing you should do is to know your reader. If you want to write something, identify who your proposed audience is. In this way, you’ll be able to write in accordance with the terminology they used. For instance, you want to inform the general public about a certain law. You should not use legal terms, instead, words which can be easily understood. In contrast, if your target reader is a lawyer or a law student, it’s proper to use their terminologies.
- Read and research. Based on your topic, research on the things that should be included in your article. Note that your resources should be based on different authors.
- Create an outline. From the data you gathered, you must create an outline. This is overlooked by most beginners but, it’s important that you have such. An outline will help you in the course of your writing. It will serve as a guide and framework for your article. The basic parts that you should include are Introduction, Body (Headings), and Conclusion.
- Think of a captivating title. After you write your article, you need to think of a great title. This should capture the attention of your readers. Further, it should reflect the intention of the article.
- Edit or revise your article. If you think you’re done, there’s still one thing you must do—proofreading. You can do it manually or by using an editing tool like Grammarly or ProWriting Aid. This step will help you correct errors to polish your writing and avoid silly writing mistakes.
Starting blogs might be difficult at first. You might be frustrated at what to write and how low your viewers are. But don’t be swayed! The key is to read more and write less and remember the 3C’s (Content, Copyright, and Consistency).
Promote your content.
Writing good content is not enough for you to become successful. When you want your blog to be recognized, you still have work to do. And it is promoting your content to readers as well as bloggers.
Once you think you’re almost done with your content, all you’ll need to do is promote it. These are some things you can do.
Blog commenting. There are different means that will allow you to interact with other bloggers. It can be through reading and commenting on their blog posts. Not only you will learn tips on proper writing, but there’s also a possibility that your comment will be noticed.
You can also share their content on your social media or recommend their blog posts on your writings. In this manner, these bloggers will be able to recognize you and pay attention to your work.
Join a group. Joining a group is also beneficial to you. You can find groups on Facebook or other social networking sites. But, beware! Don’t start sharing your links with the members.
Instead, build your relationship first. No one would want to know your content if you’re new to the group. So, first, make comments and give likes to your members.
Share content on social media. Anything you share on social media can reach a vast range of audiences. It will allow you to promote your content for free.
One example of a good site is Pinterest. This is where bloggers share their ideas. It doesn’t cost a dime, so there’s no harm in trying.
Monetize your blogs.
Once you’ve perfected the above methods, you’re now ready to monetize your blog. So, how do you make money?
- Affiliate linking. If you’re not selling a product, you can promote someone else’s—in line with your content. Once your reader clicks or purchases from the said site, you will get a commission from them. This is by far the easiest method to earn money from your blogs. There are many upsides to this, for instance, you can get Grammarly for free if you are an affiliate.
- Advertise. Another way is to advertise products through display ads. Meaning, you will place their ad on your blog. This is more effective for a beginner than the Pay-Per-Click ad.
- Email Marketing. You can also gain money from your subscribers. This might look easy but in truth, it won’t. You’ll have to be consistent in connecting with your readers.
- Sponsored Articles. If you know someone who runs a business or part of a big company, you can contact them and ask for a collaboration. Basically, you’ll write an article about their products or services. Once they got a customer from your referral, you will get paid.
So, kill those attitudes that kill writing productivity and earn up to as much as 6 figures per month. Yes, you can earn this much, but of course, you will need online payment systems like PayPal.
What are the Benefits of Blogging
Improve Writing Skills. Probably, the most evident effect of blogging is with regard to your writing skills. The more you write, the better your skills are. Most bloggers write one to two articles on a daily basis.
Further, they also proofread or edit. These activities can help you to widen your vocabulary and hone your writing skills.
But remember that being a good writer does not equate to a successful blog. There are other aspects of blogging that you should look at. In fact, it is said to be one of the 7 keys to success.
Earn money at the convenience of your home. You can also earn while blogging. Whether you’re writing for your website or for others, there’s always money in blogs. It’s technical to discuss it but Google has a way to pay bloggers. Usually, this is based on the traffic or number of readers an article produced. So, it’s always advisable to write something that is appealing to the public.
Share your story, experience, and passion with other people. Blogging can also be your venue to voice out your stories and experiences. This is a good platform for those who do not have the courage to tell stories in person or those who are not comfortable with speaking out. Writing is therapeutic. And the more people know your story and be inspired by it is fulfilling on your end.
You can also share your passion with your readers by providing informational or tutorial articles. For instance, you love drawing. You can create a step by step guide to making face sketches. Also, talk about some basic information about drawing or tips for buying art materials. Whatever subject might be related to your passion, you can always write it for your readers.
Build networks from the online community. “No man is an island.” This popular phrase is also applicable to blogging. As you go along with your venture in blogging, you’ll realize that it involves a community: that is the online community.
Building your own network is an advantage whether you’re a freelancer or writing for your own website. This is for the reason that you can gain access to paid software or applications as well as discounted seminars or workshops.
Garner recognition. Another good thing with blogging is that it exposed your business or skills to the public. It is helpful to those who are engaged in selling products like mobile software or apps. Writing how-tos or reviews of similar products might be helpful to boost your sales.
Also, it’s useful if you’re finding jobs online. Not only you can develop your profile but also you can enhance whatever skills you have. Companies can tap you on the skills you have based on your blogs. Who knows? Maybe a big company is following your every post.
Frequently Asked Questions
You have two choices here. Your first choice is to use a free platform like WordPress or Blogger. If you are on a budget or if you only want a place to put your articles, then using a free platform would do. However, if you are opting to monetize your blog, then get a domain from the likes of BlueHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, and Hostinger.
If you want to start a blog for free, then go to WordPress or Blogger and open an account. These two platforms can host your blog free of charge. Also, there are free themes, so you can still choose a design that fits your blog type.
If you have started a blog and want to earn from it, you may enroll your site to Google AdSense, and if it meets the requirements, then Google will place ads on your site. However, don’t expect to earn much from this. The big bucks are in sponsorships and affiliations. If your site has a specific focus like, let say, games, then you can review some games and have game companies sponsor your site or make you an affiliate, which allows you to earn commissions from sales that go through your site. Depending on the niche that you are targeting, there will surely be a possible sponsor or affiliate that you can convince.
To start a blog business, you need to figure out what niche you want to cover; if you’re a gamer, then perhaps you can blog about games; if your a mom, then perhaps parenting. Once you have decided on this, then get a domain perhaps from BlueHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, Hostinger among others. Then choose a platform to manage your content. There is WordPress.org, Gator, WordPress.com. Blogger. or Medium. Once you have enough content, you can monetize your blog with ads, sponsored articles, or affiliations.
Knowing how to start a blog is an advantage now that everything is based on the internet. It is a good source of income and at the same time, enhance your writing skills.
This can also help you build connections with other people all around the world. It can be you’re an enthusiast writer or you’re looking for a way to have a stable income.
Whatever that is, blogging can be helpful in many instances. This can be beneficial if you want to promote your business or cause you’ve been advocating for quite some time already. Anyway, finding a niche in the online community is not that difficult as you imagine.
If you have questions, you may comment below and we’ll be glad to help you. Likewise, you may provide insights, suggestions, or recommendations.