Wondering how to start a blog in 2020? Statista says, 4.57 billion people in the world are online. You can tap them just by appearing in search results by learning how to start a blog. Additionally, bloggers receive more traffic, increased sales, and a higher level of engagement with their audience when they blog on a regular basis. Learning how to start a blog is quick, easy, and simple. Also, you can even launch a blog in less than an hour’s time! Thanks to the internet.
Benefits you will get from blogging:
- Increase traffic by more than 8 times on their website
- Achieve 3 times more leads from blogging regularly
- Reduce marketing expenditure on other activities by more than 60%
Let us get started into telling you how to start a blog in 6 very easy steps. You will be ready to go in less than an hour’s time!
- 1 6 steps on how to start a blog
- 2 1. Choose a Name for your Blog
- 3 2. Choose a Hosting and Domain Name
- 4 3. Choose themes and plugins for your blog
- 5 4. Write and Publish a blog
- 6 5. Marketing the Blog
- 7 6. Earn Using Blogging
6 steps on how to start a blog
This guide will not only tell you how to write a blog in 6 easy steps but will also tell you how you can earn money using Blogging. Use these six simple steps to get started with your blog.
1. Choose a Name for your Blog
Once you have decided that you want to start blogging about a certain topic, choosing the right name for your blog is very important. When choosing a blog name there is a very simple rule of keeping it short, simple, and descriptive of the products/services that you are going to write about. If your blog name is hard to remember or difficult to spell down, you wouldn’t be able to see a lot of traffic. However, there are some websites with unusual catchy names that aren’t very descriptive like ‘Google, ‘Yahoo‘, ‘Amazon‘, or ‘Bing’, but as a starter, you want your blog to be descriptive. Follow these steps to choosing the right name for your blog:
- Choose names which are catchy, can create a buzz or are descriptive of your services
- Try to run a competitors analysis and see what kind of names are your peers using in the same market
- You can also try using a ‘Blog Name Generator‘ like the one by GoDaddy by entering one or two keywords and getting a lot of recommendations
- Try mixing up words, using synonyms or choosing a different combination of some keywords to create a name
- List down 10 best names that you think are appropriate and get feedback from your friends or family
- Alternatively, you can also create a personal brand name for your blog by using your existing company name or your own name
Once you have decided on a name for your blog, you’d also need to define a blogging strategy to proceed further. The best way to learn how to blog is to proceed further with a strategy:
- Deciding what are the topics and niche that you are going to blog about
- Define your target audience very specifically
- Identify what is the tone of the blog going to be (Casual/Professional)
- Listing all the objectives that you want to achieve through blogging
- Making ‘Call of Actions’ in sync with the blogging objectives
2. Choose a Hosting and Domain Name
Domain Name is the address where Internet users can access your website. For example, you are currently reading this article on ‘501words.net’, so the domain name here is 501 words.
Web Hosting is buying space on the Internet from a web host service provider to allow your website to be viewed on the internet. For example, just like when you want to start a physical office, you need to rent space. Similarly, this is renting space for your website on the internet.
Choosing a Domain and Web Hosting
In order to buy your domain name and web hosting, there are a lot of popular service providers like Godaddy.com, BlueHost, Ionos, and hundreds of others. But here we are mainly going to discuss using BlueHost because it provides a variety of benefits when you buy hosting from them:
- Free Domain Name for 1st year
- Free SSL Certificate
- 1 Click WordPress Installation
- 24X7 Customer Support
- 30-day money-back guarantee option also
Steps to buying Hosting and Domain using BlueHost:
- Visit ‘BlueHost‘
- Click on ‘Get Started’
- You’d be able to see various package options like Basic, Plus, Choice Plus, and Pro with different pricing per month for plans of 12 months, 24 months, and 36 months.
- Select the one which is most appropriate according to your needs.
- Now, you will be able to see an option of ‘Create a New Domain’ or ‘Use an Existing Domain’. If you don’t already have a domain name, you can enter the name that you chose in Step 1. Click Next.
- You’d now be able to see the option of entering your details along with Payment Information. Bluehost would automatically add some Package Extras like ‘Domain Privacy+Protection’, ‘Codeguard Basic’, ‘BlueHost SEO Tools Start’. ’30 Day Microsoft 365 Trial for Free’ and ‘Sitelock Security Essentials’. You can keep/remove all these as per your needs and proceed further for payment. Later, you’d then get a screen saying ‘Congratulations! Welcome to BlueHost’
- Next, Install ‘WordPress’, after log in.
- Bluehost will now provide several blog design options, just select ‘Skip this step’
- WordPress is not installed and select ‘Start Building’
3. Choose themes and plugins for your blog
How to write a blog using free and premium themes
To change themes of your WordPress, go to Appearance, and select Themes. Then, there are a lot of free themes that are provided by WordPress for free, you can select any one of them
However, you can also choose to buy a Premium theme if you like from MyThemeShop. Now, in order to upload a theme that you have purchased:
Appearance -> Add theme –> Upload theme -> Import theme options
How to write a blog using Plugins
- Yoast SEO: It helps you optimize your website by handling technical optimization, using keywords, meta title, and description along with a readability score.
- Login LockDown Plugin: Limits the number of login attempts from a given IP address
- Add social media plugin to connect your WordPress blog to other social network sites.
- Download any other plugin that might be needed by you and deactivate others
How to activate your SSL Certificate for free by BlueHost
SSL Certificate shows ‘https and it shows that your website is secure so users can get confidence in using it. An SSL Certificate is important as it helps keep data secure, improves conversion rates, and shows higher Google rankings.
Use these steps to activate your free SSL Certificate:
BlueHost → My Sites → Manage Site → Security → Free SSL Certificate (enable)
4. Write and Publish a blog
In order to write your first blog, follow the steps below:
- Log in WordPress and select ‘All Posts’
- Choose ‘Create a New Post’ option
- Add title, content, and format the content of your blog
- Adjust the permalink (which is the customized URL for this specific blog) according to the title of the blog. Settings → Permalinks → Common Settings “Post Name” → (Save Changes)
- Using the Yoast SEO, add a keyword, Title, Meta Description and look at the SEO Score as well as the readability score for your content
- After you are done with fully editing the post, you can click ‘Publish’
- Others will now be able to see your blog either using the link that you shared or through google search when they input a search query similar to your keyword
5. Marketing the Blog
Statista says that 97% of bloggers promoted their posts using social media! When you are writing a blog, you want people to read it, share it, and engage with the post. Therefore, you can choose to market the blog using the following options:
- Social Media
- SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)
- E-mail marketing
- Influencer Outreach
- Paid Services
You can read all Blogging Tips in order to promote your blog to reach the maximum audience and receive higher conversion rates.
6. Earn Using Blogging
Learning how to blog can earn you lots of money if done in the correct way. So, whether you are going to provide advertising space or charge commissions per ad or simply sell products online, blogs can be monetized. Hence, we will discuss this in detail in the next section.
How to make money using your blogs?
Do you already have a blog and looking to make money from it? Or are you planning to start a blog to earn some extra cash? To begin with, both of these are good options to earn using blogs.
Cost Per Click Ads
Google AdSense is an excellent program that lets you place a banner on your site and chooses which websites are relevant to you and places ads using that algorithm. As a result, ads will be displayed on your blog and these Cost Per Click (CPC) ads, so you will be paid every time someone clicks on them.
Furthermore, there are also CPM (Cost Per Thousand) ads that pay you a fixed amount of money based on how many people view your ad.
Sale of Private Ads
Using Google AdSense, Google acts as an intermediary in connecting you to the advertisers. Thus, they earn a commission on that. However, you may directly get in touch with advertisers or advertisers can reach out to you in order to promote on your site. Here you can set up your own rates, terms, and conditions of working with them instead of a fixed plan.
Use Affiliate Marketing
There are several websites running Affiliate programs today like ‘Amazon’ where you can register to be an affiliate. Then you can advertise Amazon products on your website and when people buy those products through your referral, you’d receive a commission.
Sale of Digital Products
If Affiliate marketing isn’t a good match for you, you can also consider the sale of your own e-books, music, podcasts, memberships, merchandise, etc. online in order to add a revenue source from your blogs.
Therefore, the above mentioned are all the ways in which you can use your blogs to create money.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
✏️ How to start a blog for free?
While writing a blog isn’t that expensive, purchasing a domain and hosting can cost you some money. Therefore, if you are looking out to save some money, consider buying the Bluehost’s hosting package which comes with a lot of freebies as mentioned above including a free domain. On the other hand, there are several websites that will provide you a domain totally free of cost with their name in the domain included.
📉 How to start a blog for business?
When you are blogging to boost your business, keep ‘User Intent’ in mind for your blogs. In short only if your blogs are satisfying the user intent, would you be able to gain traffic and conversions from your blog.
💡 How to get more followers for a blog?
To get more followers for a blog, consider sharing your blog on various social media pages, and ask the audience to engage with the blog. Also, consider joining communities of similar niche and share your blogs there to drive new traffic. Moreover, you can also use keywords in your blogs and optimize it according to SEO, to organically draw more traffic for your blog. Read other ways to promote your blog here.
🔧 Do I need to know coding to start blogging?
While there are a few websites or blogs which are written using HTML and CSS, WordPress has simplified the blogging process for even a layman who has no knowledge of any of these! Using just basic computer and English skills, you can start your blog on WordPress as highlighted above.
Blogging is a great tool in 2020 to capture new audiences, engage with the current audience, and increase conversion as well as sales for your business. With this guide, we have simplified the entire process for you on how to start a blog and earn money using your blog. Got a topic you are passionate about and want to tell the world about it? Or need to grow your business? Start blogging today!
Read our Top 15 Blogging Tips.